It has already been a month and a week already…still 😞 at times but I am not going to express my sadness over the events in SoKor on YG entertainment and one of my three main bias in iKON, Hanbin / B.I. leaving the group who has been along with rest of my beloved iKON been through two survival shows, experienced long hiatus in Korea while being sent to Asian tour leading to fans leaving, a badass concept comeback being considered as a flop while gaining immense bandwagon of hate dealing with another long hiatus of hard times and struggles, to a grand return making the Song of the Year “Love Scenario” leading up a tetralogy of beautifully sad singles and masterpieces of albums, to the high anticipation of what could have been their awesome comeback this summer now crashing with the current events especially with Hanbin / B.I having to leave due to the circumstances / scandal he is in…
So, instead of being sad, I will celebrate and honor iKON and this masterpiece! Most especially iKON’s forever leader, main lyricist, main composer, and producer… Hanbin / B.I. ….
Anyways, I decided to do an Album Review of iKON’s New Kids: Return album, even though I don’t exactly aim to get the physical album yet…but I do have their New Kids Repackaged Album…which I’ve already done an album review for back in April. If you haven’t yet…please do check it out… 😊✌️ iKON’s New Kids Repackaged album Review
By the way…Thank you for Spotify and Youtube though! That I am able to listen to New Kids: Return album, just like what I did with their Welcome Back and their New Kids Series: Begin, Continue, the Final and Repackaged Albums.
iKON New Kids: Return Album Review
Disclaimer: I do not own iKON…(But I am a fan and a #iKONic / #YGartists #YGstan ) and any information I got on iKON, I got on Wikipedia 😊
Anyways…Here it goes…
First off, I want to clarify I am NO #musicalexpert . But I am a #musiclover who is particularly leaning more towards KPOP & other Asian music. Don’t get me wrong I am into all kinds of music like classical music, instrumental to anime theme songs and International artists as well like Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Jojo, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Taylor Swift, NSYNC etc etc, just to name a few. But as I mentioned before I lean a little more towards KPOP especially these past couple years.
For me my interest in KPOP all started with the debut of #2NE1 , iKON’s older sister group from the same entertainment agency. 2NE1 opened the doors to me to KPOP, with #BIGBANG another sibling group steeping deeply into my heart, followed by other artists including iKON, #WINNER , #BLACKPINK , #AKMU , #JINUSEAN and #LEEHI in their entertainment agency, YG entertainment. And former artists like #EpikHigh , #Se7en , #Gummy and #PSY have a place as well. But more of them on another time, including #2NE1 cause to me 2NE1 is always forever and legendary! For now the focus of my review is on iKON and their Return Album. Peace out for straying off topic. 😊Warning, I might do this every once in a while.
Secondly, since I am making a review of all the songs in iKON’s New Kids Return Album. I also want to clarify I’ve heard most of the songs I before just that I haven’t exactly express my thoughts and feelings on the songs individually.
Byw, once again, I’ve done an album review of iKON’s New Kids Repackage Album back in April. If you haven’t yet…please do check it out… 😊✌️
Thirdly, disclaimer, I want to clarify this review is like a mention before is from my thoughts, feelings and possibility on interpretation of the songs and the entire album…before and after reading the English translations… So you don’t have to take what I say seriously just with a grain of salt. But I do hope this gets you interested in iKON and KPOP as a whole.
To me, iKON’s New Kids Series Albums is a four part tetralogy of iKON’s musical evolution and evolution of B.I’s artistic abilities. As well as the phases of a relationship…well almost from the released titled song of each New Kids Series album.
By the way, just to add a couple tidbits… The main producer, lyricists and composer of practically all of iKON’s songs is their leader and lead rapper B.I. aka Hanbin. He does have help though from other producers and from BOBBY, iKON’s main rapper who writes his own raps in songs and assists B.I. in production. Anyways, back to B.I., basically with all his roles for iKON, he is the backbone for his group. B.I. is also a part of the three main pillars of iKON consisting of himself, BOBBY and Jay. He also has a hand in producing and writing/co-writing other artist works as well… Such as WINNER’s “Empty”, Epik High’s “Born Hater”, BLACKPINK’s “Whistle”, PSY’s “Bomb”, “Last Scene” and “Autoverse”, Seungri’s “Mollado”, and Lee Hi’s “No One” feat himself, and also Lee Hi’s “1,2”.
And of course…now about iKON! Or at least about their early beginnings…
iKON is a 7-member boy group under YG entertainment. They were first introduced as TEAM B consisting of 5 members: B.I., BOBBY, JAY, SONG, JUNE and DK on a survival program WIN: Who Is Next competing with predebut WINNER aka TEAM A for the chance to debut first and risk the possibility of changing members or disbanding. Unfortunately, they lost against predebut WINNER and had to wait for another year to debut but through another survival show call Mix & Match. Anyways as I was saying Mix & Match is a survival show, where three fixed members: B.I., BOBBY and JAY and the other three original 6 Team members: JUNE, SONG and DK compete with three other trainee CHAN, Jinhyeong and Hongseok for the remaining four spots, to end up with 7 members. Anyways, in the end of Mix & Match, the final seven official members of iKON are B.I., BOBBY, JAY, JUNE, SONG, DK and CHAN.
Please note, some if not most of my review for the following songs might sound the same if not similar to my previous iKON review for iKON’s New Kids Repackage Album but with the addition of two or three songs…
Anyways here it goes…
- “Love Scenario”-is the title track of New Kids Series: Return album. When this came out, I was surprised in sense because I was soo used to iKON and their hip hop sound and the powerful rapping of both Bobby and B.I. But at the same time, I wasn’t really surprised because in iKON’s predebut days they are, to me, a very talented versatile group. And they had sang meaningful songs even before their debut, like with their predebut self-made song “Climax”, which is my absolute favorite btw and really shook me over how beautiful that song is. I highly recommend you to check Climax! Anyways I truly fall in love with Love Scenario… The fact that is so light-hearted but when you read the lyrics it is so heartfelt and sounds so ironic for such a beautiful song that has a somewhat bittersweet lyric. A song, in opinion, that represents the accepting a break-up and wishing the other party well. Anyways this is the song that hit iKON to the top for weeks straight and winning multiple awards including Song of the Year, Long Run Song of the Year, Digital Bonsang, Digital Daesang, Producer of the Year and Songwriter of the Year for B.I. Anyways check out the MV it is fresh and awesome too, and the dancing is awesome of course. Their dance may seem simple, but they have such amazing foot work! And they express the feelings of the song not only with their vocals but their moves as well💗🤗💗
- “Beautiful”- the is a very adorable B-side song that iKON actually had a major hand in producing the MV for, with their leader BI (Hanbin) as the director. The self produced MV for this was made on episode 8 on iKON TV and if I remember correctly the money, they self-earned for this MV production was done on episode 2-3 on iKON TV. And it was my absolute favorite btw. Side note, if you are interested you should definitely check out #iKONTV this MV shown on YouTube. Once again…the self-produced Making of the MV for this song is on Episode 8!!! Which I will re-watch and likely do a review for but per episode…sometime in the future… When not only when I am missing iKON but when I feeling better over the issues being thrown especially at Hanbin B.I. and YG ent. 😉✌️Anyways the mv for this song is totally awesome and hilarious! No regrets watching it again and again and sometime in the future again 😉. Anyways overall with or without reading the English translation this is a lovely song. It is upbeat and beautiful. Pun intended 😉✌️Anyways I will let this song speak for itself because it is absolutely amazing!
- “One and Only” (B.I. solo) – This is an awesome solo track by Hanbin / B.I. ! An awesome long-awaited follow up to his single Be I from Show Me The Money 3! Anyways, One and only is totally a dope song! Anyways when you look at the title and you see One and Only, you would this this is a pure boastful song of self-confidence. But when you read the English lyrics, from my understanding and interpretation that I get that it is more of having confidence in one self when dealing with being at the bottom…rock bottom and being looked down upon. I totally love this song! I love this even more when doing their iKON, he censored or had the fans censor themselves during the curse words in this song, because his little sister was in the audience watching. Anyways that was totally epic making this song even more awesome in my eyes! I totally recommend his previous solo song too BE I and his unreleased demo songs on his Soundcloud 131 and those songs are Take Care, Still Beautiful, Mirror, All That Time etc etc.
- “Jerk”-for me this is a bittersweet track. I thought it was groovy and I totally love it! I had wondered before I reading the English lyrics on why this song is titled “Jerk” but I felt it would be surprisingly good. Because iKON, particularly B.I./Hanibin who is the main producer of iKON’s songs is so good at making sad songs with either groovy or upbeat music. Anyways, why Bittersweet? Well after reading the lyrics, from my understanding, it is about the guy basically expressing his regret for not treating his girl better while he still had her. That basically he had been a jerk to her! Anyways to me, this song is still beautiful despite how kind of sad the lyrics really is.
- “Best Friend“-this is a cute song and one of iKON’s b-side songs in New Kids Series: Return. This song is also one of my favorites. It is fresh, feel good kind of song and light-hearted. But it is actually a song with a dilemma. The guy loves his best friend who is already with or has someone else in their heart. It is a beautiful song and the dilemma may seem light-hearted but it is very meaningful. I found it like a couple others as sad but sweet, beautiful and pure. And it is definitely one of my favorite songs from iKON. Btw, on this song, one should definitely check out #AKMU Suhyun’s version, the studio one and a fanmade one with iKON’s Jay. All really good versions!
- “Everything”- this is a cute song and one of iKON’s b-side songs in New Kids Series: Return. From what I understand from some iKONICs this was rumored to have been written for iKON’s fans during their long hiatus who have left and forgotten them. And that it is also definitely one of songs iKON most especially B.I. (Hanbin) has a way of making a song so light-hearted but with sad bittersweet mixed with affirmation after a break up. Anyways this is a good well produced and well written song. This song is definitely one of my favorites despite the bittersweet lyric! I will let the song speak for itself because it is absolutely awesome!
- “Hug Me”- This is definitely one of my favorite songs! This song captured me the moment started with Donghyuk singing in what I believe is a falsetto with Hanbin (B.I.) following up his rap. Even without reading the English translated version of the this song I thought, it seems so sad but beautiful. Anyways this song is bittersweet filled with a man’s longing towards the woman, who is already with someone else. He is having all of these feelings and trying his back to hold it back. But he feels he should tell her he feels, and he just wants one hug from her before he lets her go. The feels… Bittersweet. Anyways I love Donghyuk’s “falsetto” btw because I am not exactly sure if it is a falsetto. And I also love Chanwoo’s slow melo rap. The entire song is sadly beautiful. Anyways, I will let the song speak for itself because it is absolutely breathtaking!
- “Don’t Forget”-this song is so beautiful and this song is also one of my favorite songs. From what I understand this was written for iKON’s fans during their long hiatus. Basically, “Don’t forget us, Don’t forget me, everything about me…” For I don’t need to expound too much but just from those words whether you interpret it as a song to fans or to someone to a loved one. I found it to be so sad, sweet, beautiful and pure. And it is definitely one of my favorite songs from iKON. . Anyways, I will let the song speak for itself because it is absolutely beautiful!
- “Sinosijak” – I totally love this song and this is one of my favorite tracks on their Return album! Actually this song was released back in their predebut days during the Mix & Match era. It was also said that Sinosijak is like their battle cry or something along the lines of hyping themselves and the crew up before every performance! Kind of like with 2NE1 yelling NOLZA before their performances. I found that absolutely adorable and precious Anyways this is a totally bop song! Really hot!!! I most especially enjoyed the live performances to this song, they were totally lit! Which I totally recommend for you guys to check out as well. This is a time of song that makes you want to let loose and get down on the floor! Anyways, I will let the song speak for itself because it is totally undeniably awesome!
- “Love Me”- this is one of iKON’s b-side songs. And it is also one of my favorites. Of course, without the English lyrics, I thought it is cute song but at the same time I found it ironic. It is such as upbeat beautiful cute song. But the parts in English when they say ‘Nobody loves, Nobody loves me, I need love, give me your love, right now, right now…’ right away gives you the impression there is more to song. And that it is also definitely one of songs iKON most especially B.I. (Hanbin) has a way of making a song so light-hearted but with sad bittersweet lyrics. Anyways I totally love this song, most especially the bridge and chorus.
- “Just Go”-for me ths is a bittersweet track and I found it sadly beautiful. This is actually an old iKON track that was re-released on iKON’s New Kids: Continue album and now this Repackaged album. Anyways from the song is sad, it’s about a guy telling a girl to go to the guy that makes her happier, that he is will be alright. It is sadly beautiful. This is the type of song that makes me raise my arm and sway it slowly side to side. I found it to be so sad, sweet, beautiful and pure. And it is definitely one of my favorite songs from iKON. And like more than a handful other iKON tracks I will let the song speak for itself because it is so heart-wrenchingly beautiful.
- “Long Time No See”-this song is one of my favorites and it is also absolutely special. It was said to be written for the fans who waited so long for iKON to come back and finally debut after losing as Team B in WIN: Who Is Next. Like Sinosijak, this song was released back in their predebut days during the Mix & Match era. As whole, whether read the English lyrics or not. I really love this song. It is so beautiful. And I especially like the bridge and the chorus part. This song amongst other iKON songs are definitely in my playlist and one of my favorite songs from them. I will not expound on the lyrics because I feel this song definitely speaks for itself with how beautiful it is.
Anyways if you made it up to here… Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review on iKON’s Return album. Overall this album is a beautiful masterpiece and felt so relatable in many ways. This is actually one of my favorite albums but decided to put off getting this album till the end of the year of its release back in 2018. But when I heard, iKON would release a 2-Disc Repackaged album with a couple selected songs from all iKON’s New Kids Series: Begin; Return; Continue and The Final…I totally went for the Repackaged album instead. By the way… like I’ve mentioned before as soon as I got the Repackaged album. I’ve done an album review of iKON’s New Kids Repackage Album back in April. If you haven’t yet…please do check it out… 😊✌️ iKON New Kids Repackaged Album Review
Anyways just add… the only thing was that repackaged album did not have B.I’s solo One and Only and Sinosijak, but it had the most recent song that they release which I loved so much cause it was so relatable! I’m Ok, a beautifuly sad relatable song… So I decided to get the Repackaged album instead despite loving both B.I’s solo One and Only and Sinosijak. Anyways when I’m Okwas released it became one of main iKON jams, along with the 1st self-made song Climax, Jerk, Hug Me, Goodbye Road, Perfect, Don’t Forget and B.I.’s unreleased demo versions of his solos Take Care, Mirror, etc etc most especially after news BI leaving the group due to his scandal.
Anyways I hope and pray for that iKON and B.I. will be okay especially later on. 💗💙🙏💙💗 And whether together or not, I will always support them, because they are a group like Linkin Park was back to me in my high school days and 2NE1 in my college days. Listening to iKON, was like helping me express my pain and struggle! Even if in iKON’s case, their songs seems like about love but can definitely be interpret as about life. There songs are so relatable and made me feel like it is okay to be in pain, they are not just idols or celebrities they are human too…prone to making mistakes, having their own struggles and pain too, and listening to those songs they’ve especially Hanbin / B.I. created although sad has a healing effect.
iKON will always be 7 members to me! Even though, B.I left due to his circumstances…I will support them together and in their individual activities. I love iKON! And I will always be an iKONic! And I hope this review and my previous review on the New Kids Repackage Album gets you interested and love iKON especially B.I. And in spite of the issues going on concerning, may you recognize B.I. for his enormous talent in making music and how amazing iKON is, especially together as a whole.
And if you are interested in my content, please subscribe to and follow here on my website. I will start making even more reviews here soon on #books #anime #movies #tvshows #cds etc.
And please check out and follow me on my Instagram LadyAzulMoon
#korean #kpoppers #kpopbg #koreanboygroup #koreanband #koreanmusic #ygfamily #ygartists
#ygartist #kpop #ygentertainment #yge #ygent #boybands #boygroups #popmusic #koreanpop
#UniteforiKON #UniteforHanbin #StaywithHanbin #StandbyHanbin #StaywithBI #StandbyBI #OT7 #iKONic #OnlyiKON #7ogetherwithiKON #BeautifuliKON #AlwaysBIYourSide
#BI #Hanbin #Bobby #Jiwon #Jay #Jinhwan #June #Junhoe #DK #Donghyuk #Song #Yunhyeong #Chan #Chanwoo