For the love of RED VELVET….
As well the official debut of the subunit RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI and their release of their first mini album!
I got to make a review of their mini review even though I heard all the songs on the album already both on Spotify and Youtube…and it only been released earlier last week JULY 6!
This time I am not waiting until I get the actual album in my possession…
Anyways here is my 3nd RED VELVET Album review!!!
Particularly 1st RED VELVET subunit Album review…
And for my 1st Album Review for the month of JULY!!! …
RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI MONSTER – The 1st Mini Album Review
Disclaimer: I do not own #REDVELVET …(But I am a #REVELUV s ) Any information about the members, I got from Wikipedia 😊 And the pictures I got them online. Peace out!
First off, like all my previous album reviews post, I want to clarify I am no musical expert. But I am a music lover who is particularly leaning or more inclined towards KPOP & other Asian music.
Don’t get me wrong I am into all kinds of music like classical music, instrumental to anime theme songs and International artists as well like Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Jojo, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Taylor Swift, NSYNC etc etc, just to name a few. But as I mentioned before I lean a little more towards KPOP especially these past couple years.
Also, like I mentioned many times in all of my previous KPop album reviews, my interest in KPOP all started with the debut of 2NE1, BLACKPINK’s, iKON’s, WINNER’s and Lee Hi’s older sister group from the same entertainment agency. The same group…who Park Bom, in one of my previous album reviews was also in…
Like I said…. 2NE1 opened the doors to me to KPOP, with BIGBANG another sibling BUT elder group steeping deeply into my heart, followed by other artists including iKON, WINNER, BLACKPINK and LEE HI in their entertainment agency, YG entertainment. But more of them on another time, including 2NE1 cause to me 2NE1 is always forever and legendary!
But for now, unlike my previous KPOP album reviews… This will be my first ever non-YG artist K-Pop album review. With the focus of my review is on RED VELVET, the subunit of IRENE & SEULGI and their masterpiece, RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI MONSTER – The 1st Mini Album, which was released in this past week JULY 6, 2020.
Peace out btw for going off topic. 😊 Warning, I might do this every once in a while. LOL
Why is RED VELVET a non-YG artist?! It is because if you don’t know yet and are not a K-Pop fan…. Red Velvet is under SM Entertainment also known as SM Town! The home of Hallyu K-Pop Legends…Super Junior, Korea’s National Girl Girl…Girls’ Generation aka SNSD, and other popular groups like EX0, SHINee, F(x), NCT, TVXQ and BOA!
Anyways… As I was saying… the focus of my review is on RED VELVET and their masterpiece, RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI MONSTER – The 1st Mini Album!!!
Secondly, I have listened to this entire album before especially on #Spotify and #Youtube when it was first released not too long ago….this past week Anyways since I am making a review of all the songs, I will still give a heartfelt review as best as I can. Especially since this is one of my favorite Albums. And not too long ago, this weekend actually…I finally got their album… The ReVeFestival Finale Album because I’ve loved it so much after repeatedly listening to it both on Spotify and Youtube and after learning my favorite song of theirs… Psycho…. will be in this The ReVeFestival Finale Album!
Thirdly, disclaimer, I want to clarify this review is like a mention before is from my thoughts, feelings and possibility on interpretation of the songs and the entire album…before and after reading the English translations… So you don’t have to take what I say seriously just with a grain of salt. But I do hope this gets you interested in RED VELVET and KPOP as a whole.
Just a little bit about RED VELVET…
They are a Five-member female KPOP group. This Quintet consists of from oldest to youngest… Irene, Wendy, Seulgi, Joy and Yeri! The debuted in August 1, 2014 with Happiness as a four-member group consisted of Irene, Wendy, Seulgi and Joy….it was in March 2015 when Yeri was added to the group. Since their debut, they released two studio albums, one reissue album and seven extended plays. Their popular singles that all topped the charts include Ice Cream Cake, Dumb Dumb, Russian Roulette, Rookie, Peek-a-Boo, Bad Boy, Red Flower and Power Up. Their name, Red Velvet means their two sides, “Red” and “Velvet” also known as their dual concept that influences their style and music. The “Red” side is when they release mainly pop music that is bright and youthful. While the “Velvet” side is when they release R&B type music with a more mature concept. This dual concept of theirs earned them much international praise for their versatility and diverse music.
On this IRENE & SEULGI subunit… It has been a long time coming! In their pre-debuts Irene and Seulgi had done a lot of dancing videos together and a lot of live dance performances together. Irene and Seulgi are both popular and beautiful in their own rights… But Irene is mainly known for her beauty, the main rapper, and the leader of RED VELVET while Seulgi is known for her beauty, dancing skills and her unique vocals! But never really got to accentuate their undeniable teamwork, vocals, and dancing duo skills as a duo since their pre debut days and rare special performances until now!
Anyways onwards to the actual review!
RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI MONSTER – The 1st Mini Album!!! Woohoo!!!
Moving on…I am starting with…
- MONSTER – I totally love this song! It is one of my favorite Red Velvet Irene & Seulgi songs, most especially in this album. Also, not only it is a bop song… It is totally hot and sexy!!! Just listening to this song and singing along… I get this creepy, dangerous but powerfully alluring feeling… The song is in my opinion to be from my interpretation of the English lyrics, theme around the monster inside that is dangerously tempting, and the person being tempted and seduced by the monster deals with it at night and only has relief from it once the sun comes back up. Both Irene’s and Seulgi’s vocals and raps are amazing! There are moments too that Irene clearly is following the footsteps of her idol BoA especially with her singing style and she does it so well! Anyways…if I was in love and made BAD BOY and PSYCHO as one of my anthem songs from RED VELVET especially with all 5 of them in it… Monster I was speechless…the MV, the song, the dance and the cinematography of Monster is undeniably the best in my opinion and I felt that Irene & Seulgi slayed in all aspects of it and it is only two of them! I can only imagine with all 5 of them doing something like this along these lines… I would be blown away. But honestly even though MONSTER caught me speechless, I would say PSYCHO is still my favorite. Anyways, Monster is an awesome bop song, and I totally and undeniably love it! And with that I will let the song speak for itself especially the MV. I totally recommend the MV and song as a must watch and must listen! This is a MONSTER!!! Pun intended!
- DIAMOND – I love this song; this is one of my favorite song on the album. And why I love this? I love this because it gives off a groovy, R&B vibe. It is so sexy and bop! Making you bop your head along with the music! I totally love Red Velvet subunit of Irene’s and Seulgi’s vocals and harmonization here, its strong and undeniably amazing. Their vocals definitely match well with eachother. Like their bop of the Psycho, from earlier this year that is, this song also gives me the same vibe I got from their 2018 song Bad Boy…although still slightly different… I get this flirtatious sexy vibe of in which the girls are giving up but at the same time giving up a tempting warning. They are telling their potential suitors that they know they are interested in them and they can try to come for them, but they should know that they are a diamond in the rough! Pun intented! This song reminds me of their song Automatic and the album The Velvet which the focus is R&B, which I totally love. Anyways I will let this song speak for itself because it is an awesome bop song, and I totally love this song!
- FEEL GOOD – I love this song, this is one of my favorite song on the album. This song is SOOO good. It has an awesome beat and is so groovy, like old school hip hop. It makes you want to bop your head along with the beat. I totally love Red Velvet subunit of Irene’s and Seulgi’s vocals and harmonization here, it is so subtle and sexy but at the same time from their lyrics brings danger to the one they are singing to. From my interpretation of the lyrics…it is like, even though they are giving a friendly smile, the girls want to hurt the person they are singing to. And it makes them happy, when the person is hurt or sad especially when girls think of something that made them so twisted. I found it absolutely, interesting because even though it is an alluring, groovy song, it shows the twisted side of someone who is faking a smile but enjoying someone’s pain! Sadistic actually… Anyways, despite the dark vibe I am getting from the lyrics, I totally love it! It is an awesome song!
- JELLY – I totally love this song, this is one of my favorite song on the smalbum! I love Red Velvet subunit of Irene’s and Seulgi’s vocals here and I found their harmonization absolutely amazing! Also, it is such as groovy song with some hip hop and R&B elements! It is so sexy and bop! Like Psycho, and most especially their B-side song In&Out this song also gives me the same vibe I got from their 2018 song Bad Boy…although still slightly different… I get this flirtatious sexy vibe in which the girls express to their potential lover that they know that they have an attraction towards them and that they more they try to hide, they can’t hide and the more they would want them. Anyways it is an awesome bop song, and I totally love it!
- UNCOVER (SUNG BY SEULGI – I totally love this song, this is one of my favorite song on the album, especially for a Seulgi solo! Seulgi’s vocals brings a lot of emotion in this song and it is so mesmerizing and a sexy! When you read the lyrics, she is basically telling the person to listen to their heart and not be afraid to know their true feelings, to not hide how they feel and to uncover their mind and things will get better. Anyways this is an awesome, sexy song! I will let this solo song of hers speaks for itself because it is amazing!
Overall, as I mentioned before I just love Red Velvet subunit IRENE & SEULGI’s entire mini album! And for me, there was not really any song in this mini album that I can say I dislike because I found it as an absolutely, undeniable masterpiece. It is simply amazing and awesome! On this IRENE & SEULGI subunit… and like I mentioned earlier, this subunit has been a long time coming! And they did an awesome job accentuating their amazing chemistry as a duo! Since they never really got to accentuate their undeniable teamwork, vocals, and dancing duo skills as a duo since their pre debut days and rare special performances until now! Am happy for both Irene & Seulgi!
Especially happy for Irene, because out of her members her vocals are the least appreciated, she gets less lines and she has not really promoted many songs of her own even though she is the face of many endorsements. So here, Irene finally gets to shine! Especially the moments that Irene clearly shows she is following the footsteps of her idol BoA especially with her singing style and Irene does it so well especially since she herself is an amazing performing. we even get to hear her sing in a low husky luxurious vocal from her usual sweet, angelic soft vocals. Among her members, Irene is the most underrated. So here, especially in this subunit, Irene and her talent finally get to shine!
Like their Perfect Red Velvet Repackage and The ReVeFestival Finale Album with their whole group… RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI MONSTER – The 1st Mini Album clearly expresses a different kind of Red Velvet! And it is only 2/5 of them and only a mini album! So, imagine all 5! It’s going to a major masterpiece! Cannot wait for their return as 5, of course, all of them healthy and well especially since Wendy’s incidence… But yes, will wait patiently for their return!
Also just to add, even though 2NE1 will always be my favorite top KPOP girl groups along with MAMAMOO, BLACKPINK, 4MINUTE, SISTAR, SNSD etc etc I totally love RED VELVET for their diversity…I am also into their variety of concepts with hints of some creepy or weird elements whether in their Pop Bubblegum side or their R&B side, it just works for them…cause they give a tinge of they are beautiful but dangerous vibe. And their songs somehow grow on you. And even if you somehow do not like a song from them too much or not your cup of tea, that song as I mentions grows on you…like it becomes a mantra. Also, their songs and concepts just work for them because it is a part of their duality…
As a mentioned earlier but will expound a little bit more… They also give a persona of that they…REDVELVET are cute, gorgeous even, but are also “dangerous”. But if I still cannot explain it well…better yet…just check out their MVs to see what I mean!
You might get weirded out or creep out at first, but their concepts will grows on you and it totally works for them. And they are undeniably talented and underrated!
Anyways if you made it up to here… Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review on RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI MONSTER – The 1st Mini Album. Hopefully, this review gets you interested in Red Velvet and KPOP as whole. Thank you @Spotify for posting RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI MONSTER – The 1st Mini Album! I absolutely love it and leading towards getting the album especially since I heard the physical album has a bonus track called Naughty!
And just the other day RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI released their Episode videos for Naughty! A definite highly recommend for you guys to check out!
For me, they are setting the bar up high! Especially with all the Tutting! You should see the “NAUGHTY” videos in order to see what I mean!
Because of how I am fangirling over RED VELVET IRENE & SEULGI subunit, I might follow up on this with a MONSTER MV Review and NAUGHTY EPISODES Review…
We shall see…
But, am definitely going to get my hands on the album.. lol
By the way, if you are planning on buying the album…
Please note that there are three versions: TOP NOTE, MIDDLE NOTE and BASE NOTE! So choose your heart’s desire or if can’t decide you can go for all of them…
In my case, am aiming for the MIDDLE NOTE! Lol
Anyways…you can listen to the album on SPOTIFY, YOUTUBE and other music apps if available!
And if you are interested in my content, please subscribe to and follow here on my website. I will start making even more reviews here soon on #books #anime #movies #tvshows #cds etc. Especially on future KPOP artists’ album reviews and possibly MV interpretation/ review as well.
And please check out and follow me on my Instagram LadyAzulMoon
Anyways til my next post…
STAY SAFE! STAY HOME AND STAY HEALTHY! As well as Respect each other! Cause the virus does not discriminate!
God Bless you and your loved ones always! Let us all pray for the best and for as cure for not only the Corona virus but all diseases as well!
#korean #kpoppers #kpopgg #koreangirlgroup #koreanband #koreanmusic #kpoplegends
#smtown #smartists #smartist #kpop #smentertainment #yge #ygent #girlbands #girlgroups #popmusic #koreanpop
#RedVelvet #REDVELVET_IRENE_SEULGI #IRENE_SEULGI
#MONSTER #DIAMOND #FEELGOOD #JELLY #UNCOVER #NAUGHTY
#irene #wendy #joy #seulgi #yeri
#BaeJoohyun #ParkSooyoung #KimYerim #KangSeulgi #ShonSeungwan